Resize That Skirt in Five Simple Steps!

Skirts are easy to resize and make smaller if they are a simple design.  You can reduce at the side seams, tighten an elastic waistband, add a tuck or pleat. Here is one I altered for my daughter.  She bought a skirt with dropped waist and pleats. This is what I did...


5 Step Makeover

  • I pinned the skirt on my daughter to reduce the seams. 
  • She took it off and I measured the seams more accurately. 
  • When the two seams were even I checked the fit again. 
  • I sewed the seams using the straight-stitch on the machine.  
  • I cut off the surplus and zigzagged the raw edges.  (See below.)


Size 18 to Size 6 is a big leap, so I added button-hole elastic to give an extra 2-3 sizes of adjustment at the waist.  Click here for this tutorial: Inserting Buttonhole Elastic

My daughter was delighted with her second-hand skirt, which cost £2.50.  It was perfect to wear to Comic Con, as the character Nagisa Shiota  With a blue wig and  black jumper, this skirt finished off her outfit perfectly.

Skirt Makeover: Size 18 to Size 6!
Ta da! Job done...Daughter happy :)

Links 
Info on Nagisa Shiota
Comic Con at The NEC
UK Comic Con Events and Conventions - 2017
Inserting Buttonhole Elastic

Comments