Quick and Easy Fruit Fool

I make a lot of fruit fool, using the abundance of fruit we grow on the plot!  Here is a quick recipe that was so successful, I want to share it with you...


In an earlier post I gave out a recipe for Healthy or Luxury Fruit Fool that you can adapt to suit your taste: adding cream or natural yoghurt to custard and stewed, blitzed fruit.  You can find that recipe HERE.

Quick Fruit Fool is QUICK!  I used damsons, blackberries and rhubarb, fresh from the garden, but you can use any fresh fruit (eg: cooking apples, plums, raspberries, blackberries, red or blackcurrants and gooseberries are good).

The quantities are basically 2:1     2x custard to 1 stewed fruit   

Easy Fruit Fool: Ingredients for 4 people

A mix of fresh fruit  (I used approx 450g or 1lb of fruit for this recipe)
1 tbsp Sugar
1-2 tins of low-fat, ready-made custard
(I used 900ml or 1.5pts  from a 1k carton)

Method

  • Cook the fruit in a pan with 3 tbsp of water, until soft.  Remove stones from fruit.
  • Add sugar at the end of cooking and adjust to taste.  Turn off the heat and stir until the sugar has melted.
  • Leave to cool and blitz in the blender.  Measure the fruit in the blender jug (I had 300ml or 1/2pt) and added twice the amount of custard (600ml or 1pt) before blitzing again in the blender until smooth. 
  •  Adjust the custard to suit your taste.  I added another 300ml or 1/2pt of custard because the fruit was tart and I wanted a more mellow flavour. 

The flavour improves with several hours chilling in the fridge.

I served this with fresh strawberries and blackcurrant syrup.  The kids helped themselves and decorated them as they pleased.  See their different designs below :)












You can find the syrup recipe HERE. It is actually Blackcurrant Cordial, undiluted.

Enjoy! Thank you for taking time to read this post :)

Comments