Transform that T-shirt!


I chopped the bottom off one T-shirt and sewed it onto another! I chopped off the sleeves too: converting it from long to short sleeves, binding the edges with elasticated bias binding tape (FOE). My daughter is really pleased with the result. The body had shrunk an it is now the right length. The short sleeves give it a totally different look and feel. She loves it and it was so easy to alter. See below.


I chopped the bottom 20cm off the blue T-shirt.  I then chopped the bottom seam off the white T-shirt. I put the raw edges together (top sides facing in on each other) to sew them cleanly together.


Here is the bottom of the blue T-shirt being sewn onto the white one. 


 I was able to match the side-seams, but this is not vital. You can use an overlocker or the zigzag stitch on a sewing machine to sew the pieces together.  Either method works and enables the stitches to stretch with the fabric.

Here is the finished, longer length.  Notice the bottom seam of the blue T-shirt has become the 'new' bottom seam of the T-shirt, so no extra seam is needed. 


After chopping off the sleeve (following the line of another T-shirt, placed on top, as a guide) I zigzagged around it to finish it off with the elastic FOE.  This is my first attempt!  It needs a steady hand and a bit of tension to stop it from stretching out.  You also need to give BOTH sleeves the same amount of tension to get even-looking sleeves.  No pressure then!


Here is the finished top.  It looks like a new T-shirt and my daughter is delighted with the new-look of her old favourite T. Hooray!



Have you had a successful T-shirt transformation?  Tell me about it here...

Comments

  1. What a cool idea :) I went to a workshop recently where I learned to crochet with yarn made from a t-shirt, but you end up with quite a lot of wasted fabric when you do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by to read my blog. I am new to this. I love the idea of using fabric yarn to crochet! There are some amazing yarns available now. I wonder if you could knit with it? That could be a whole new post;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not - it's just a chunky yarn!

      Delete

Post a Comment